We are The Mind Room, a health, wellbeing and performance psychology community based in Collingwood, Melbourne. Our mission is to enhance people’s health and wellbeing so they can live their best life.
We believe that when people know more about how their minds work, they suffer less and live more meaningful, connected and satisfying lives. We are about sharing psychological knowledge and tools to empower individuals and communities to not just survive, but thrive.
We provide individual consultations (therapy, coaching and supervision), workshops and training with a focus on ACT, CBT, performance psychology, mindfulness and wellbeing science, to help you live a healthy and fulfilling life.
Provisional Psychology Program
At The Mind Room (TMR), we value curiosity, growth and learning as an integral part of the psychology profession and our workplace culture. We understand that placements are an essential component in the training of psychologists and growth of the profession. Our program has been designed by a board approved supervisor and has been refined over the last decade.
Our Provisional Psychologist program is designed to provide students with a range of experience and skills that will equip them for working as a psychologist, particularly in the private psychological services domain. Part of our vision is to contribute to the growth and development of the industry by providing high quality student placement experiences.
Our provisional psychologist placements meet competencies (for the relevant placement stage) as stipulated in the AHPRA guidelines and student contract. Activities will include, but are not limited to:
- Regular supervision by an endorsed psychology supervisor
- Client contact relevant to the area of psychological practice (e.g., clinical, sport and performance, organisational, health).
- Peer supervision and training opportunities facilitated by a range of psychologist with varying endorsement and expertise (eg, clinical, coaching, couples, eating disorders, sport and performance)
- Opportunity to participate in TMR psycho-education training through our public program of workshops and events.
- Clinical and business administration exposure (i.e., Intake team, Front of House, marketing and business development).
- Knowledge translation opportunities outside of the therapy/coaching room (e.g., writing and recording for the website, podcasts or insta live streams)
We are a progressive and innovative psychology practice with a clear vision. We live by our values and have created a home for a broad array of psychologists to connect and do impactful work. Review our staff profiles here.
We work from a purpose built venue in Collingwood, Victoria. We have integrated knowledge and best practice from wellbeing science and design psychology to create a welcoming and inclusive space for clients and staff. Read more about it here.
We primarily work with adults, and some adolescents. The majority are aged 20 to 55 yo, with a 60:40 gender split (female:male). We see people across the mental health spectrum from illness to wellness, for therapy or coaching. We have an interest in performance, particularly in sport. We work with individuals as well as organisations to build mental health, wellbeing and performance. Read more about our work at www.themindroom.com.au
Integrity We act with kindness, compassion and respect towards people, communities and the environment. What we do is informed by evidence based science. We do not rest on our laurels, we keep our minds open. We do no harm, and aim to do good.
Connection People matter. Our connections with others – clients, colleagues, local community – are essential for our health and happiness. If an idea promotes meaningful connection, it’s in. We’re about making people feel safe, welcome and wanting to come along for the ride.
Curiosity We are curious about ideas, people and the planet. We want to keep noticing, learning and growing. We challenge the status quo and look to do things better.
Action We are pragmatic and action orientated. We translate evidence based knowledge into practical and engaging applications for everyday life.
Joy Life is meant to be playful and fun. While we take people’s health and our work seriously, we can also embrace a light and joyful spirit in all that we are and do.
How to apply?
- Check you meet the eligibility criteria: a) Provisional psychologist (AHPRA registered)
b) Currently enrolled in a Psychology Masters, combined Mpsych / PHD, Professional Doctorate or 5+1 Program.
c) Will have completed at least one and preferably two placements prior to commencing this placement
d) Can attend a minimum of 2 days of placement over 6 months (12 months for 5+1 students) on site in Collingwood, Victoria.
- Apply by 28th November 2021 (for placements the following year, starting in either the February or July intake)
- In your application include: a) A cover letter (include your current provisional psychologist status, University affiliation, placements completed, your preference for a February or July 2022 placement start date)
b) Your CV
- Send you application to the Placement Coordinator at [email protected]